4.05.2012

April Featured Seller - Lybly

This month, we are going to feature our captain! Marisa and her shop Lybly!


Tell us a bit about yourself.
I have two insanely beautiful and wonderful daughters, Lyric (9) and Blyss (8).  They are the most amazing gift and I never get enough of them.  I live in Hot Springs currently, but work in Little Rock.  I have always been a creative/creating-obsessed person, but started trying to narrow in a business of creating things when I was between jobs 2+ years ago.

Apart from creating things, what do you do?
In my day-job, I am a creative director at an advertising agency and have been working in marketing and advertising for the last 10 years.  I can usually be found with a book in my hand, listening to a book during my freakishly long commute, or trying desperately to get outdoors and do something – bike, hike, whatever.

Where does your inspiration come from?
My inspiration for creating things usually comes from the smallest spark of an idea that comes out of nowhere.  It never comes from the same place twice and hits you very unexpectedly.  And, unfortunately, it is just not something I can plan (or I’d probably be way better off).

What does handmade mean to you?
I just love everything that handmade stands for.  I feel like it keeps the human element in those ‘things’ that you love to keep around your house or wear or flaunt.  J  And, if everyone would buy handmade, think of all those small businesses and artisans that could stay in business and support their family the way we all want to.  Dream world, right?!?

Who has been most influential in your craft?
I guess my girls.  Both, because they like to craft with me (they love to help anywhere they can) and because they always have wants or needs for things that I’m like “I can make that for them.”

When did you know you were an artist/maker?
I was itty bitty when I realized I was quirky than the other kids. J  And, always wanted to be the artist in the game of Life, never a doctor or astronaut.  I think I have just always known I’d go somewhere down that path, but have definitely never gone the exact direction I planned.  So, I’ve just learned not to plan, then you are constantly surprising yourself.

How would you describe your creative process?
It has no rhyme or reason.  I never do things the same way for too long and am never happy with how I did, so I’m always looking for better/new ways to try it.

If you could peek inside the studio of any artist, designer or craftsman (dead or alive), who would it be?
I would have given anything to have had the opportunity to be a part of Andy Warhol’s chaos, or watched Robert Rauschenberg or Roy Lichtenstein work.  Actually, the list of people I would (or would have) liked to get a glimpse of is miles long.  I just am so inspired by people who create and why they do it and where it alls comes from.

What handmade possession do you most cherish?
I love anything and everything that I can buy or have handmade.  I don’t think I have one possession I cherish more than others, unless of course it is something my children made.

How do you get out of your creative ruts?
I do seriously get in these moods where I can’t make myself do anything!  Does everyone have this??  Everything I’m working on seems like its terrible and I can’t get any motivation.  I have found that when this happens for me, I need to force myself into ‘something’ and I’ll just naturally find a way out of it.  It might take my a few hours or days of internal arguing to ‘force’ my way out, but it always seems to work when I do.  J


Where would you like to be in ten years?
I’m not really sure where I’d like to be in ten years.  Life has thrown me for some loops in the last couple of years, so I have turned into a rather ‘go-with-the-flow’ kinda person.  I do know I would like to have a thriving business of my own creation and have a happy and healthy home.  Other than that, I’ll probably just ride the wave and see where it takes me.

Find our leader at all of the following links: StoreWebsite, Facebook, Twitter, and Blog!

Thanks Marisa, for letting the team get to know you better! 

No comments: